Any NY field trip advice?

February 16, 2009 pm28 8:47 pm

On the heels of this post by Ms. M about an excellent (way to go, motivating with Flat Stanley) and a horrible (you’ll have to click over and read it yourself) pair of field trips, I realized that NY readers could be a useful source:

I am looking for a trip. Free is good. Very cheap is ok. Seniors. After school or weekend. Not a huge group, but could be anywhere from 15 to 70 with the 25-40 range most likely. Museum/exhibit. Fun for kids, but not something most of them have already done. No worksheets, has to be of interest to 17 y.o.s on its own.  Small is ok, I’ll combine with some sort of walk and food, but tiny, no. Manhattan is best. Bronx is okay. The other places are not out of the question.

So, NY readers out there, ideas?

1. February 16, 2009 pm28 9:09 pm 9:09 pm

Well I’m always a fan of the Museum of Natural History, but I don’t know if your average high school senior will find it interesting.

2. February 16, 2009 pm28 9:54 pm 9:54 pm

I’ve taken my students on walk with Michelle and James Nevius in Manhattan (www.walknyc.com) many times and they’ve been witty, engaging, and totally worthwhile. Not free, but I think less than $15 per person.

3. February 17, 2009 pm28 7:32 pm 7:32 pm

I’m really searching for a museum. And yeah, I like Natural History, but unless there was some special exhibit that kids would like, that’s not going to do it.

4. February 23, 2009 pm28 10:05 pm 10:05 pm

How much is cheap? There’s the ICP, which may interest HS Seniors, but I think it costs about 10$ pp.

5. Ted permalink
    February 24, 2009 am28 7:17 am 7:17 am

I’m nowhere near NYC, so don’t if this is practical, possible, or cheap, but does Neil Degrasse Tyson ever give talks to students at the Hayden Planetarium?