I’ll take the snow day

February 26, 2010 am28 8:10 am

…but there was no reason for the announcement to come after employees were already on the road.

Two weeks ago, big storm system moving through, Bloomberg, Tuesday before noon, canceled school for Wednesday. Everyone was grateful for the notice (though I wished they waited until the end of the school day, disrupted classes a bit), not only because good notice is nice, but also because of what Bloomberg did last year.

Last year he closed schools at 6 in the morning. Last district in the neighborhood. And the district where many employees have long commutes, sometimes up to 2 hours. By making the announcement after 5, he put people on the road in treacherous conditions, he put lives at risk.

This time? 5:19 is better. But these calls need to be made before 5, before people get in their cars.

Me?  I thought it was going to be borderline conditions, where safety dictated closure, but close enough to the line that the mayor would leave the schools open. Maybe 70-30? But enough worth checking. To bed early, after checking for no notice. Up at 4 to check the computer. No notice. Up at 5 to check, no notice. At 6 I went straight to the kitchen, put on coffee, watered the plants, thought over my lessons, estimated the accumulation (looks like 4″ on the fire escape, but there’s been melting and replacement), strolled over to the living room and the computer lit up with the Schools Closed e-mail.

And now, coffee’s already sipped, too late to go back to bed, a little e-mail, some stretching, and I’m off to school to see which kids didn’t get the message! Maybe I’ll get them some hot chocolate… (I see kids out my window walking towards the local PS)

1. February 26, 2010 am28 8:35 am 8:35 am

I’m guessing you live within walking distance of your school. I would have gone to mine too, if it was that close.

2. canwetalk permalink
    February 26, 2010 am28 11:47 am 11:47 am

I was up at 5:15 a.m. listening to the news. Called 311 to get some info; recording said schools will be open. Went to the DoE’s website. There it was “schools will be open”. So I started ironing my clothes when I finally heard over the news that the mayor finally decided, at around 5:35 a.m, to close schools.

Decided to stay up and read all the blogs just to get a feel of what everybody’s doing or thinking.

BTW pissedoffteacher’s, your pictures are cool!

Once again the mayor inconvenienced the parents of NYC when yesterday the news clearly announced that the snow would continue all night and driving conditions for the morning would be hazardous. The mayor announced the school closing on 2/9 without a flake being on the ground, yet this morning’s 10 inches of snow had him pondering – will he or won’t he make the announcement!

Got to go back to my blog reading. Have a relaxing day off.

3. ms. v permalink
    February 26, 2010 pm28 1:12 pm 1:12 pm

Yeah, the way things were icing up last night, I was surprised at the wait to cancel. Also surprised after-school programs were a go yesterday.

• Lindsay permalink
      February 26, 2010 pm28 2:42 pm 2:42 pm

A our school we didn’t have after school programs yesterday. We have SES programs though and I guess they made their own decisions to cancel.

4. February 26, 2010 pm28 2:15 pm 2:15 pm

I keep hearing that NYC never ever closes yet this year you seem to be closing a bit. This year is a first for me: 3 snow days in a row. It’s never happened even during the worst blizzards. The sun is out for a bit now before the next squall, yet I’m home and bored. I’ve got to get out and see the apocalypse that gave me three days off.

5. Lindsay permalink
    February 26, 2010 pm28 2:41 pm 2:41 pm

I follow @NYCschools on Twitter so this morning I was looking at the tweets that I missed from last night/this morning (as I do every morning) and saw SCHOOLS CLOSED. I wasn’t expecting that at all. It was easy to just roll right over and go back to sleep though. No need to turn on the TV, the computer, or call 311. Lovely!

6. March 1, 2010 am31 8:00 am 8:00 am

Lindsay,

you’ll appreciate this: http://xkcd.com/490/

Me, I have to get up and walk to the computer…

• Lindsay permalink