Over 200 comments

August 14, 2009 pm31 10:45 pm

… on the Bronx Science Special Complaint post.

Why?  That post got linked in a bunch of places where teachers and students from BHSS read; I got weird referrals from Facebook every day. And some people got used to returning to that one post to look for more comments. As of today, it has been viewed over 8000 times, which is a lot for this blog.

I’ve stepped in on two occasions to intervene (as administrator, rather than just participate) in the argument/discussion occurring in the comments:

• when one bronx science administration supporter attacked a math teacher in unacceptable terms.
  • when one bronx science supporter attempted to create a counter-blog (ridiculous, as administration already has adequate means to express itself), and attempted to link it from here. Not going to be allowed.

But the recent course of discussion demands more intervention.

– – — — —– ——– ————- ——– —– — — – –

One of the administrator supporters has been attempting to violate the (unwritten but understood) rules of this blog: he thinks he knows my name, and has been trying to post it in comments here.

1. it probably doesn’t take more than 20 minutes of googling to figure out who I am. I have students who got it in 5.
  2. I don’t use my full name on this site. I don’t allow others to.
  3. yet he’s tried to post his guess 5 or 10 times this week.

“Get the Facts Straight” is banned from this blog. I don’t know how effectively I can enforce the ban, but I will try.

– – — — —– ——– ————- ——– —– — — – –

Cato/Veritas has been using multiple names to post under. This behavior is not acceptable. He has been warned.

– – — — —– ——– ————- ——– —– — — – –

I am not particularly interested in the junior member of the Bx Sci math department who did not sign the special complaint, or why he left/returned.  He doesn’t want it discussed + I don’t care = that topic is closed.

– – — — —– ——– ————- ——– —– — — – –

It was a brave thing for 20 of the 22 members of the department to sign the Special Complaint. While I am disappointed that the senior member did not sign, his motives, his character, are off limits. Period.

– – — — —– ——– ————- ——– —– — — – –

It is time to remember

• the Special Complaint is moving forward. The rest of the testimony is just weeks away.
  • brand new teachers, desperate for jobs, need to be properly warned about the Do Not Apply schools, including the Bronx HS of Science. This year, with the bad economy and hiring freeze, they may have no alternative, or they may be seduced by the name and reputation, but at least if you land a job here, go in with your eyes open, be careful, protect yourself, and look here for information about the transfer period next spring.

1. veritas permalink
    August 16, 2009 pm31 12:36 pm 12:36 pm

Wrong: I am veritas and have not been using multiple names. When you did not post my comments, because you obviouisly did not agree with them,I used another ip address.

You rationalize well, but you never ban those who agree with you from using names or from denigrating, by name, others. Interesting how you use POWER. I wonder how you would be as an administrator?

• August 16, 2009 pm31 1:34 pm 1:34 pm

Veritas/Cato use the same non-DoE IP. Please restrict yourself to one name.

The spam filter caught your long comment, and then caught the attempted repost (computers are consistent that way). I am still looking to see if I’ll release it.

I never ban anyone from here, except Norm Scott and “Get the Facts Straight.” That’s it.

I’ll never be an admin. No need to wonder about that.

2. August 16, 2009 pm31 2:49 pm 2:49 pm

@jd2718

Yes, I know that the Special Complaint is going forward, but it is almost too late. Too many of the teachers who signed the Complaint have retired, been forced out, or left prior to being forced out. By now, all the good young teachers, the ones for whom the senior teachers went to bat, are gone. Any victory now would be hollow.

However, that being said, the Complaint should go forward, regardless, to document the attitude of the administration and to prevent these administrators from advancing their careers by crushing the careers of younger people. For the sake of justice, the following should result:
    1. At the very least, Jahoda should be removed immediately from her position as an AP and prevented from ever again holding a position as an administrator in the NYC Public School System. Better yet, she should be fired.
    2. Reidy should be told to resign or retire immediately, or else be fired.
    3. Ditto for Cooper
    4. Since the term will be starting soon, a respected former principal of Bronx Science should be brought back as interim principal, to reconstitute the school, dump any other administrator who deserves it, and weed out the teachers hired by those administrators (e.g. Fox and his ilk).

Anything less than this will be a victory for the administration.

• August 16, 2009 pm31 6:29 pm 6:29 pm

I don’t have a stake in who a replacement principal should be. I question the wisdom of taking such a stance.

And you can’t be serious about weeding out teachers? First off, there’s too many. Second, they are teachers. How can I advocate a (new – but who cares?) administrator going after a group of teachers because of personal loyalty. That’s sort of exactly what I advocate against.

Shun them, that might be right. But they remain teachers.

• August 17, 2009 am31 10:06 am 10:06 am

@jd2718

I agree – I didn’t make myself clear. The recall of a former principal was a suggestion, a way to get the year off to a start without bringing in a completely new team unfamiliar with the school.

I also agree that all teachers hired by this administration should not be weeded out. Obviously, it is not their fault if they were hired by Reidy, Jahoda, et al. What I should have said is that any new administration should weed out those teachers who worked actively against their colleagues, those – like Cato, Veritas, Get the Facts Straight, Fox, and their ilk – who denigrated their colleagues, shilled for the administrators, etc.

3. kibrolv permalink
    August 17, 2009 pm31 1:26 pm 1:26 pm

thanks for the reminder that
    with big readership comes
    big comment-trolling;
    thanks too for taking the trouble
    (rather than just banning comments
    altogether as i expect *i* would do
    in the unlikely event that i ever
    got this level of attention).

people sure can act creepy.

4. ade permalink
    August 17, 2009 pm31 3:41 pm 3:41 pm

I have to admit that I have looked at this topic many times even though I have absolutely no personal stake in the outcome. I watch in disbelief because I am intrigued by how dysfunctional NYCDOE schools have become in the last 10 years. I have had my own experiences teaching in a horrible schools with equally horrible administrators. But I always thought schools like Bronx Sci and Sty were above the fray.

I have decided to leave the NYCDOE system mostly because of my own experiences but the accounts on this site only bolster my decision.

I have had a great career in the NYCDOE. I won’t reveal what I taught but suffice it say I taught HS in a shortage area. I enjoyed teaching here immensely. Students LOVED being in my classes and that is no exaggeration. Parents asked for their children to be placed in my classes. My students always performed well on the state exams and always well above the department average. I took great pride in this fact. I know some people don’t believe the State exams are valid, but the State believes they are and I lived by my reputation to get good results. As far as the DOE using these results for any reason, my feeling was always “bring it on!” BTW…every observation I have received has been satisfactory as were every yearly evaluation.

Yet I have been harassed by administrators at various times in my career–more so before I received tenure but even after I received tenure. No offense jd, (I know you’re a union guy.) but the union has been absolutely worthless in every single instance.

Despite my successes, I understand that I am not the world’s greatest teacher–maybe just average. But if a person like myself (with everything I have revealed about my career) has a hard time teaching in NYCDOE, the system is in real trouble.

5. Anonymous permalink
    August 17, 2009 pm31 5:23 pm 5:23 pm

@ jd

I’ve read the Bronx Science thread for a while but have never commented…While I appreciate that you’re finally calling for some civility, particularly as regards my three teacher colleagues, I can’t help but feel that you’re somewhat insincere. Your original post started in JANUARY, and in the comments you savagely attacked (or allowed to be attacked) Mr. Fox, Mr. Perna, and Mr. Lynn. You’ve demonstrated that you had the ability all along to block inappropriate comments, yet had never done so. Indeed, you seemed to enjoy anonymously sniping at colleagues, until Justin Fox threatened you with a LAWSUIT. In the aftermath of that threat, you suddenly call for peaceful discourse, and declare attacks on Fox and Perna off limits. Should Mr. Fox decide to file a lawsuit (and I have no idea whether he will or not), any judge would see this for what it is–a (very late) attempt at covering your a$$.

The horses are out…Quick, someone close the barn door!

• August 17, 2009 pm31 5:34 pm 5:34 pm

@Anonymous
      The threat of a lawsuit is just that – empty drivel. All posts are a matter of opinion, not fact, and are stated as such. Opinion is protected speech. Also, truth is a defense. Whatever jd2718 did or did not do, it was not in response to the threat of a lawsuit.

Also, for Messrs. Fox, Perna, and Lynn to be calling for civility is laughable – they and their cronies have posted many comments harshly critical of their colleagues (e.g. Tia Smith, Carolyn Abbott, Bea Robertson, Joan Alexander, Peter Lamphere, Greg Greene, etc.), either directly by name or in such a way that there could be no doubt of whom they were criticizing. For them to now whine about harsh treatment is both nauseating and typical. However, turnabout is fair play.

• August 17, 2009 pm31 6:55 pm 6:55 pm

The preceding “Anonymous” comment is from “Get the Facts Straight” who is banned from this site. Since there’s already a reply, I will not delete the post. It would make it hard to understand what remains.

I’ve never attacked either math teacher, and know nothing about “Lynn.”

6. ldorazio1 permalink
    September 11, 2009 pm30 5:48 pm 5:48 pm

JD,

First off, thanks, as always, for your link to my blog. I appreciate your comments and hope to keep our relationship fruitful.

I actually took the entire afternoon to read the entire thread of the Bronx Sci. saga. I got to say, my friend, that it takes some serious balls to even ALLOW this kind of open forum for what has become a colossal pissing contest or a mini-revolt (depending on your point of view.)

I won’t opine on the Bronx Sci. matter, as such, since I am not at liberty to all the facts. However, I will say that we ALL must be careful to keep an argument from exploding into ad hominem attacks that bear no basis in reality.

Please keep the forum as open as you can. I appreciate the light touch of your editorial hand, and the threads serve as an incredible primary source of a school conflict. I’m a history guy, after all :)

Best wishes,
    Mr. D

7. Anon permalink
    February 25, 2016 am29 10:58 am 10:58 am

It has been YEARS, and this is still going on with this administrator. Teachers leave her office to sit in the bathroom and cry for extensive amounts of time. Teachers feel victimized and bullied incessantly. Complaints have gone nowhere, and teachers have actually been retaliated against for speaking up. Of the teachers she had to hire in the immediate aftermath of the department exodus (more than a dozen), only approximately 3 remain. Some have left teaching, some now teach in other DOE schools, and others have moved to a different district. None of the teachers that signed the complaint remain in the department, as they all have retired or otherwise left.

It really is STILL a horrendous place to work.