NYC schools and classroom setup

August 28, 2008 pm31 4:05 pm

Article 6C of the UFT contract with the Board of Education (it still says ‘Board’) establishes the school year:

All teachers shall report to their schools to begin work on the Thursday preceding Labor Day for a professional day, and will also have a professional day on the Friday preceding Labor Day… Part of the time on the days before Labor Day will be allotted to classroom preparation…

So, do you have classroom set-up time? How much? Put it in the comments.

I saw my school’s agenda yesterday… I know we have about half the time… I’ll put the exact number in the comments, too.

What should you do if they give you no time? What if they give you very little time?

• 1. speak with the chapter leader
  • 2. if there is no chapter leader, or the chapter leader does not respond, contact your borough office.
  • You might let me know, too (in comments is ok, but privately is better – and I’ll try to help make sure your issue gets directed properly)
  1. August 29, 2008 am31 5:22 am 5:22 am

2 hours and 40 minutes on the agenda for today (30 minutes less for cluster teachers as they had an additional meeting). The principal stressed that the rooms MUST be ready by Tuesday morning and the school would be available for us until 6pm on Thurs and Fri as well as for 4 hours on Saturday.

2. August 29, 2008 am31 6:02 am 6:02 am

We are going to be given two hours tomorrow. The principal made it sound like he is doing us a big favor.

I am in two rooms with a possiblitiy of a room change when classes start. There is no way I am doing any cleaning. The only room preparation I plan on doing is moving books from the trailer to the classroom.

3. August 29, 2008 am31 7:57 am 7:57 am

We had about three and a half hours today (although a chunk of that was nominally for breakfast – I’d say schmoozers/eaters outnumbered room cleaners about 3:1), and we’ll have 2 – 3 hours tomorrow. So around 40 – 50%, depending on how we count breakfast, and depending on who (some teachers have an extra meeting tomorrow).

We’ve also got 45 minutes tomorrow for a UFT meeting. I don’t really need that for the agenda, welcome back, here’s the forms, need replacements for the consultative committee, don’t talk to investigators, introduce the new DR, but a few people will want to talk…

4. Bart permalink
    August 30, 2008 am31 1:44 am 1:44 am

I had the full day, minus an hour or so for a fairly useful discussion of school procedures (at least, useful for new teachers.)

5. August 30, 2008 am31 2:03 am 2:03 am

I was wrong–we were only given an hour. Most of us have two-three rooms.

6. John P. permalink
    September 2, 2008 am30 4:31 am 4:31 am

We have three “work days” built into our contract. That is teachers report three days before student. The kicker is to limit the amount of time administrators can use for meetings. Ours is one day. So one day of meetings and two days of preparing.