The Quiet Island of Alonissos

July 7, 2006 am31 11:03 am

Alonissos is my third stop (I didn’t blog about Rome, where I sleepwalked through the Colisseum, Palatine Hill, and the Trevi fountain).

The weather has been kind since I arrived, highs in the mid-80s.  The beginning of the trip was brutal, nearly 100 in Rome, high 90s in Thessaloniki. But then it stormed in Thessaloniki, rain for two straight days, aqnd my ferry was canceled.  (In the event, I bussed south to Volos, sampled their local spirits called tsipouradiko, and took a catamaran the next day.  Don’t know if it was the rough sea or the previous night’s drinking, but I got off that boat looking fairly green)

Thessaloniki was big and fast.  Alonissos is a small, slow island.  It is off the beaten path, and does not see anything near the tourism that floods the better-known Greek Islands.

This website has a couple of nice photos.

Patatiri is the port.  Most year-round residents live here – of course with a supermarket, post office, internet cafe (where I am right now), etc.  It looks like a very small tourist spot, with pretty cafes on the harbor.

Click for more –>

Palia Alonissos (Hora or Chora) is the old town, 40 minutes walk up the hill.  It was largely abandonded after a 1965 earthquake, but over the last 20 years has been restored, largely for summer vacationers (mostly longer term).  This is where I am staying.  Cars are not allowed on most of the “streets” (really lanes), cats wander free, there are a few dogs, and fig trees are all over the place.  Unfortunately, they don’t ripen for a couple of weeks yet.  I’ve been searching for an early tree. There are also olives and grapes.  And views.

(When I get home I will upload good pics to go with this post).

The place I am staying has a website with beautiful shots, including the view from my room.

Alonissos is great for moderate hiking, and I have been working my way up.  Slop on sunscreen, grab a bottle of water, fresh camera battery, and I am set. Since I kept my hair long, I have been braving it without a hat.  My scalp hasn’t burnt yet, and I am (high vanity) waiting for the sun streak light brown, blonde, red, and chestnut into my medium brown hair.

Downside?  I learned that in most of Greece cucumber tomato salad is just cucumbers and tomatoes….

1. July 25, 2006 pm31 6:07 pm 6:07 pm

“Alonissos” http://alonissos.atspace.com is a special island gifted with non-identical natural beauty, as it pulses with mysterious sea caves, unlimited sandy beaches, revitalizing verdant sites and crystal clear waters. However, apart from its natural sites, Alonissos has amazing human creations, such as traditional houses, several churches and monasteries as well as other interesting sites that lie under the unique insular mentality that veils all.

Located in the heart of the famous Sporades Islands cluster, at the Aegean Sea, opposite the coastlines of Evia and Thessalia, the island of Alonissos, which is the largest island of the insular complex, covers an area of 64 sq. km., a coastline of 64 km and has approximately 3.000 inhabitants.

The island of Alonissos is mainly famous for the amazing sea park, the first in Greece, which hosts various rare animal species, offering them a heaven on earth. Furthermore, Alonissos, being a secluded island with natural beauties, is considered to be an ideal resort for combining peaceful holidays with natural living.

Alonissos or Hora, which is the old capital of the island, is built on a hill at a distance of 20 minutes from the port. Patitiri, the new capital and port of the island, which is a town that has been declared scheduled, is a much-frequented resort that pulses with tourism. Moreover, Votsi, a new settlement with lush verdure and sandy beaches, Steni Vala, a popular region with anchorage as well as the surrounding islets, are definitely worth a visit.

If you are interested in spending your holidays in the heart of a peaceful and natural environment, visit the island of Alonissos is order to enjoy an unforgettable experience.

2. July 25, 2006 pm31 6:09 pm 6:09 pm

3. Nay permalink
    July 26, 2006 pm31 6:53 pm 6:53 pm

drinking hmmm rather interesting

4. July 29, 2008 pm31 9:50 pm 9:50 pm

Ammos Villa

Megali Ammos, Alonissos

Sleeps 2 – 6 people
    Private swimming pool (8 x 5 metres)

Megali Ammos is a secluded and peaceful bay close to the south-west tip of Alonissos. On either side of the bay a beautiful coastline of pine trees and olive groves hides sheltered coves and looks out towards the island of Skopelos. Directly above the sea and just fifty metres away from a beach, Villa Ammos is a private escape from the crowds.

Two kilometres from Patitiri a small, graded track leads to a hillside of olive trees above the west coast and then a further five kilometres of uneven track takes one to Ammos’s secluded location by the sea.

5. May 8, 2009 pm31 10:29 pm 10:29 pm

Alonissos holidays enable you to laze about on the beach or go for a swim and snorkel in the crystal clear water. Diving is a popular activity in Alonissos and both beginners and experts can try it. There is a diving school where you can hire the equipment as well as take lessons. The underwater sights are amazing, with ancient shipwrecks that back to 5th century B.C. There is also a lot of marine life for you to see. There is also a marine park in Alonissos where you will find beautiful scenery to explore. You will find Monk Seals and dolphins in the park which is a perfect way to spend a day. There are plenty of boat excursions taking you to other islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Skyros. A day trip to Athens also comes highly recommended for sightseeing and numerous bars and restaurants.

1. Blog Evolution meme « JD2718