What does “pensionable” mean?

October 28, 2007 pm31 10:01 pm

In a recent victory, TRS and the City agreed that coverages will be pensionable. And a nice bit of frosting, older coverages will be retroactively pensionable.

What’s that mean?

Pensionable means that the money earned in that activity (in this case, class coverage) is used as part of the calculation in determining your pension.

New teachers, beware! Doing a coverage today will not affect your pension, it will just make you tired in return for a few bucks.

How safe is your pension?

Only the last year or the last three years of service go into calculating your pension. If you do a coverage today, and you are not almost ready to retire, it will have no bearing on your pension. If your principal gives you a coverage and speaks soothingly about pensionability, he’s intentionally misleading you (don’t confront, but make a note, and point it out at the next chapter meeting).

(more below the fold –>)

By the way, your first coverage of each term is a freebie. After that, they should pay you at the coverage rate for each one you do. Keep a record, even if they say they are keeping records. You know, they need to be watched, and it is your money. Coverages should be rotated. If they are giving you more than your fair share, ask. If you don’t like the answer, ask your chapter leader.

If you want extras, you can request them. But unless you really need the money, or unless you are getting ready to retire, the time you have during the day for preparation is valuable. Think about that before asking to give it up for a few bucks.

1. October 28, 2007 pm31 11:40 pm 11:40 pm

I try to avoid coverages as much as possible, but that is good news for the people that do them. Thanks for sharing.

2. October 29, 2007 am31 3:48 am 3:48 am

And I have made clear that I don’t want any. And it is a respectful place, so when I get one, I take it with no fuss, since I know that they wouldn’t give it to me if there was an option.

There was one year at my former large hs that I asked specifically for freshman coverages. I was finally at the point where I thought I could handle that age, and wanted to test myself.

(I had a stock math lesson that began with a promise of no work. In fact, I honed it, and still use it. Draws them in every time.)

3. ms. v permalink
    October 29, 2007 am31 6:26 am 6:26 am

At my first school, we always played vocab bingo when I had a coverage. It would take the kids 30 minutes to make the bingo grid and fill it in with words which I would brainstorm with them based on word walls around the room and their reports of what they were learning in that class. Then we’d play for 15 minutes and the lesson would be painlessly over. Worked like a charm.

Now we generally have prepared emergency lesson plans or the teacher sends instructions (depending on the reason for absence).

I hate coverages though… in no way shape or form do I find it worth the money.

4. david friedman permalink
    December 28, 2007 am31 12:22 am 12:22 am

when can i expect payment for coverages.im retiredas of july2002

5. December 28, 2007 am31 5:56 am 5:56 am

I don’t know the answer. The UFT website has info from October that says more info will be available soon. You might call them? Or TRS? If you learn, please let us know.

1. Technorati glitch? « JD2718