I’m running

January 20, 2007 am31 8:01 am

…in the upcoming UFT elections.

I thought I would be running for delegate to the (is it the AFT convention?). Instead it will be for an officer slot, on the New Action slate.

Vote for me.  (Easiest way is to vote New Action slate. But if you split your ballot, I’m probably the only Jonathan running for an officer position – won’t be hard to find .)  But do vote. It is a small but important responsibility that all UFT members should take seriously.

I will write more about why I support New Action, and why you should, too, another day. For now: New Action criticizes our leaders when they are wrong, but  supports them when they are right. New Action has a unique commitment to strengthening our union from the bottom up, from the chapters. And finally, I continue to believe that the UFT needs a much more vigorous approach to supporting new teachers, (chapter building, but much more than chapter building) and a strong vote for New Action is the best way to deliver that message.

1. Norm permalink
    January 20, 2007 pm31 7:52 pm 7:52 pm

Sure Jonathan. Too bad New Action didn’t tell you all along what you were running for since some members of New Action blabbed your name as one of the HS Exec Bd candidates 6 weeks ago. It seems you owe NYC Educator an apology.

2. Norm permalink
    January 20, 2007 pm31 9:38 pm 9:38 pm

Your post on Jan. 13:

“last week when I noticed that NYC Educator, a Queens high school English as a Second Language teacher/blogger who supports a different UFT caucus, had published my name in a short attack piece in late December, I was annoyed. The reason for the piece (he claimed I am running for Exec Board) was a lie. The point was simply to make insulting reference to me, and to put my full name into the blog.”

Exactly who is doing the lying?

3. January 21, 2007 am31 2:43 am 2:43 am

You saw the language he used? Of course you did. How dare you demand an apology.

You have an unnamed source that I am running for HS Exec Board?

1. I wasn’t running for anything when you asked me at the December DA.
    2. That’s what I told you at the December DA.
    3. You ignored me and passed the bad info to NYC Ed anyway, inspiring the insulting post.
    4. When I asked you to own up here (3rd comment), you went silent.

Oh, yeah, and I’m not running for HS Exec Board. I’m running for one of the officer positions. I was asked (this week) and I accepted.

4. January 21, 2007 am31 3:55 am 3:55 am

Norman, you wrote that if New Action opposes ICE in the elections “we have to go out to the schools to point this out. The rhetoric will get heavy. And I’ll be leading the pack.”

I thought you meant rhetoric about the issues, not distortion, rumor-mongering, and insults.

You also wrote: “Whatever happens, don’t take things personally and keep the channels open.” You’ve got me wondering whether, at this time, there’s any point.

5. Norm permalink