Anonymity

November 6, 2009 am30 12:57 am

Tough one.

A Bronx Science teacher has been trying to identify me, here, in the comments section of one of the Bronx Science posts. Easy enough to block. But he’s written to a newspaper, with his guess about who I am.

I’m not too angry with him. Sad guy. [insensitive, intemperate remark redacted]

But the local paper, firm believers in the rights of the press, published the guess at my name without any thought for the effect on bloggers. Shame on the “progressive” Riverdale Press.

1. November 6, 2009 am30 7:47 am 7:47 am

Wow. You’re not going to leave us are you?

2. November 6, 2009 pm30 1:59 pm 1:59 pm

What is the role of anonymity in your blogging?

You made a reasonably comprehensive effort to separate your jd2718 persona from your “passport data” persona. Of course there are ways to find the connection, but you can’t be blamed for people doing that, nor should you be expected to go the full “cloak and dagger” routine.

• November 6, 2009 pm30 7:44 pm 7:44 pm

The particular effort to link jd2718 to my “passport data” was made with malice, and a fairly good local newspaper took a fairly cavalier attitude to what they’d done.

That being said, my “semi-anonymity” is something I prefer – it is not crucial to what I try to do. There is nothing I wrote behind the pseudonym that I would feel embarrassed to have linked with my real name… It simply is not my preference.

• November 8, 2009 am30 9:02 am 9:02 am

Btw, I don’t think I’d visited your site before. Interesting stuff. Who are the resources primarily intended for?

• November 8, 2009 am30 9:20 am 9:20 am

There are several different projects going on with different audiences. For example, the unclasses and math clubs currently include homeschooling families and run during mornings or early afternoons. They could be used in community-centered or family-centered group settings, but they would not fit well within “scope and sequence” driven classes. Resources like MathLexicon are for everybody – you can do it with one kid or a large group. Family Multiplication Study was a pilot of online study group for parents and educators, and we will start two of those again this Spring, most likely – now that I got support for all the pieces together from LearnCentral, Curriki and the local fans of Natural Math. The Math 2.0 interest group is for educators, ed researchers and ed tech people.

I am working on reorganizing the site for making sense. It’s been growing organically since 1996, with a brief period of professional programmers that left it less manageable, and it needs some pruning and tending.

3. November 8, 2009 am30 9:29 am 9:29 am

Saw the article. That’s pretty shady. But my guess is that if you hadn’t mentioned the name of the newspaper, most people would not find your name. The Riverdale Press doesn’t circulate widely beyond our neighborhood, and I think it would be hard to find it in a google search.

4. November 8, 2009 pm30 1:36 pm 1:36 pm

Colleagues, a kid, and a supervisor found it when it was published. No problems for me, but not the way I chose to work things.

Remember, where I am, a reasonable proportion of the folks have ready access.