Winter Soup – the photo array

December 29, 2007 am31 3:35 am

I’ve often boasted about my winter soup. Here, live on this blog, you finally have a chance to see this gross-looking, olive brown colored glop.Parsnips and carrots

Boiling barley-marrow broth

Unpeppered marrow broth, left, parsnips and carrots (hiding other stuff) right.

The basic idea: boil the hell out of barley, split peas (yellow and green) and lentils, about a pound, pound-plus altogether (1 hour). Throw in marrow bones (can add neck bones with some meat, if you want), and boil them hard (1 hour). Then pepper, spice, and throw in chopped carrots, parsnips, onion, and celery, and boil a bit, then simmer.

After an hour, hour and a half, you have edible soup. Reheat repeatedly (adding water), and you thicken it to porridge. Just reheat what you want, and you get to keep it at the soup stage. I do a bit of each.

More beneath the fold, mostly pictures —>

First bowlVegetables in! It's soup

I chopped too many vegetables, and needed a second pot. Right, the first bowl.Third Day

Fine WInter Soup

Pot, the second day. A steaming hot bowl, day 3. Notice that the carrots are still visible, but most everything has cooked in a lot more. The tiny dark spots are black pepper. The slightly larger ones may be remnants of parsley.Second week; Dark and porridgy

Peppered for fridging

Each day, before going back in the fridge, it got a dusting of fresh black pepper. Yum! The bowl on the right is around the 8th day.Bone pile

Thinned out one last time

On the last day I thinned the clumpy remains, and got a last meal out of that goodness. I pulled out the steaming bones. My parents would have sucked them clean. Not me.

1. December 29, 2007 am31 4:08 am 4:08 am

It looks awesome good!!!

2. preaprez permalink
    December 29, 2007 am31 9:33 am 9:33 am

Yes, we both blogged on marrow today. It is a sign. This will be a good year.

3. December 29, 2007 am31 10:41 am 10:41 am

Can I leave out the marrow? It sounds so much better without it ;)

4. December 29, 2007 am31 11:02 am 11:02 am

You might get similar results by using regular bones with meat on them. Neck bones, or stew meat with bones.

But honestly, you should make what you like. These flavors, I like them. I think many people might not. For me, I don’t like eating the marrow. But I love the flavor when boiled out into the soup. My mother doesn’t particularly like using parsnips.

There’s a new pot boiling in the kitchen now.

5. December 30, 2007 am31 4:46 am 4:46 am

This looks great. I don’t believe I’ve ever eaten a parsnip, and I know I’ve never used bone marrow in anything. It’s something to think about.

6. missprofe permalink
    December 30, 2007 pm31 6:47 pm 6:47 pm

Looks tasty. But…who eats all of that soup…you???

7. January 1, 2008 am31 2:24 am 2:24 am

I generally eat all of it. Occasionally, usually late in the process, I burn the bottom. If there’s not much soup left, the burnt bit gives it all a nasty flavor, and I dump it. Otherwise, me from first sip to last. It’ll be about a week – ten day’s worth of meals, spread over about twice that long.

8. January 9, 2008 am31 7:05 am 7:05 am

Man, I thought this soup looked good on http://meeyauw.blogspot.com/
    but now I am not so sure…lol. I will have to give it a try. I love soup in the Winter but the whole bone marrow thing sounds a bit gruesome!!!.
    Medelise

9. January 9, 2008 pm31 4:04 pm 4:04 pm

I love it, but each to their own taste. My sister, apparently, prefers bones with meat on them, and (I assume) less or no marrow. In any variation this soup makes a hearty meal on a cold day.

1. The Chronicle of Bone Marrow. « PREA Prez
  2. Carnivallette of Marrow « JD2718
  3. Homeschooling Perks « Let’s Play Math!
  4. A walk in the snow-i-cane « JD2718