Surprise addition to Do Not Apply list

November 17, 2008 am30 9:18 am

The Bronx High School of Science.

There are good schools, bad schools, mediocre schools. But in New York City we have a handful of schools that are so poorly run, so out of control, with administrations that are so incompetent, mean, arbitrary, or vindictive, that getting a job in these schools often means ending your career before it starts.

How did Bronx Science, specialized high school with a rich history and fantastic student body end up in this group? I’ll be writing about the present conditions (but not the history) later this week.

For now, understand this: it would be a mistake for a new teacher to walk into that building. But unlike the other schools on the Do Not Apply list, I expect Bronx Science to, at some point, recover and become once again an amazing place to work; for its proud traditions to reassert themselves over the shameful practices of its current administration that have brought disrepute to such a fine institution.

1. November 17, 2008 pm30 3:19 pm 3:19 pm

Ooooh. That is a surprise. Now, I’m curious.

2. another "disgruntled" employee permalink
    November 18, 2008 am30 1:43 am 1:43 am

I suppose this would be surprise if you didn’t bother to think about it. I have never taught there but one could imagine being a new teacher in a school with such high expectations, higher egos, a crumbling infrastructure and a diminishing pool of a truly viable applicants.

Factor into it a new group of administrators that are trying to hold on to the glory days of BS but don’t really know what to do.

Like Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech went through a period of decline which saw a decrease in teacher morale and student quality which was only exacerbated by poor management. I have friends (veteran teachers) who taught there and left in disgust. I don’t know if BT has recovered.

What is surprising is why BS is even hiring brand new teachers. At the risk of offending some people, if I am being honest, I have found that brand new teachers are rarely any good.

3. November 18, 2008 am30 4:00 am 4:00 am

I attended this high school…A lot of really fantastic, inspiring teachers quit after the (current) principal assumed her position. I cannot believe she’s still there…

4. pbpcbs permalink
    November 19, 2008 am30 7:22 am 7:22 am

After I interviewed at BxSci, my math coach checked through her grapevine and advised looking elsewhere if I wanted a life outside of work…and, oh by the way, even after giving up everything else in my life, getting tenure at the end of the year (my 3rd) would be highly unlikely. She believed that 4th year probation was a very tough transfer situation, and if I didn’t transfer the opportunity for administration coercion wouldn’t be resisted by the administrators there. I didn’t get an offer, but her reasoning was sufficiently compelling that I probably would have turned it down.

I will also admit that I was puzzled why they were interviewing a second year teaching fellow…seemed odd that there weren’t a sufficient number of compelling senior teachers to lock out any newer teachers. Their answer, when I asked, was some vaugeness about wanting to mold teachers. I didn’t push the explanation, but it seemed disingenuous as it was provided.

5. another "disgruntled" employee permalink
    November 21, 2008 am30 2:34 am 2:34 am

“Um…yeah….we want to mold our teachers.”

Translation: “Um…yeah….we want to be able to push so much %^% down your throat and not even have you blink.”

Alternative translation: “We want to be able to force you to give up every ounce of your free time for as little pay as possible and be able to get rid of you fairly easily at the end of the year if you complain.”

Yet another translation: “We want you to have very few ideas coming in so that we can tell you want you should be doing.”

I can’t believe I even bothered to send them a resume. When I saw what they wanted me to send (something like 5 observation reports, lessons and plans, portfolio and I think a DNA sample), just to get an interview, I didn’t bother following up.

6. Karen Dussack permalink
    November 23, 2008 am30 2:26 am 2:26 am

read the article and judge for yourself.

You can also google Bronx High School of Science with the words EDUCATIONAL NEGLECT and you will find a slew of other articles

7. Karen Dussack permalink
    November 23, 2008 am30 2:29 am 2:29 am

you can also google Bronx Science and Educational Neglect to read more articles on my family’s nightmare

1. JD2718