Do Not Apply – 3 – Bronx Theater

July 1, 2008 am31 6:36 am

An inconsistent discipline code and arbitrary retaliation against teachers mark, unfortunately, Bronx Theater High School (in the JFK building).

I spoke to 4 current and former teachers, all go straight to the administration when explaining what’s wrong here. But bad enough to put on the Do Not Apply list?

I put the question to a Bronx Theater teacher last month: “What should I tell new teachers?” Now, I was asking a teacher who is staying put, who will survive. But they’ve seen teachers driven out, berated, sent to the rubber room. My question provoked a stare off into space, and then a pause. “Tell them not to come. Tell them not to apply.”

1. JEAN BIRNKRANT permalink
    July 11, 2008 pm31 10:16 pm 10:16 pm

I have a masters degree in psychiatric social work aS well as substitute teaching certificate — and I have been a member oif actors equity as well as a member of screen actors guild for years and I have quite a few acting credites also.jeanne ann birnkrant sag, actors equity, and a m.s.w. in social work—I have also done a substantia amount of substitute teaching in the public school system—thus I think I WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT BRONX THEATER SCHOOL TEACHER. JEANNNE ANN BIRNKRANT,M.S.W., SAG. AEA. THANK YOU.

2. July 12, 2008 pm31 11:06 pm 11:06 pm

Does this deserve some sort of award for missing the point so completely?

3. July 12, 2008 pm31 11:17 pm 11:17 pm

I have been “away” for 3 days (house guest) and I missed this…

Jean, Bronx Theater is not a good place to work.

Rick, thanks for the heads up. I pulled out some of her id’ing information…

I can’t think about any awards. The problems in this school are real — the refugees are grateful for having escaped with their careers, those remaining are scared…

4. star permalink
    July 24, 2008 am31 1:37 am 1:37 am

Rick
    LOL I know the topic is not funny but man!!

5. March 30, 2009 pm31 2:21 pm 2:21 pm

I teach at this school and think it is excellent, with a very supportive administration. I can’t even imagine why it is on here. This list seems way off.

6. March 30, 2009 pm31 2:40 pm 2:40 pm

It’s possible there’s been dramatic change. But it’s also possible that as a first year teacher (you are, right?) you don’t see as much as your colleagues, or you may be treated differently then your colleagues.

Ask around, and get back. If they say: “you wouldn’t have believed Debbie the last few years, but this year, no problem, good for us” please share that. It’s a good thing to remove schools from the Do Not Apply list.

But you may learn some stuff you didn’t want to know.

7. March 31, 2009 pm31 5:27 pm 5:27 pm

I’m not a first year teacher. I would say the morale here is high and the number of teachers with complaints is very small. I have recommended my friends to apply here without hesitation. I have worked in crappy schools, and this is certainly not one of them.

Given that you seem to be basing this on information that is at least several years out of date, and probably highly subjective to start with, I would suggest you would be doing your readers a huge favor by removing this school from your list, or at the very least conducting some up to date research. As it is, there is a huge disconnect between what you describe and today’s reality.

• Anonymous permalink
      April 2, 2009 am30 4:42 am 4:42 am

You do not have a clue; and if you do you may want to see things for your own personal gain and benefit. Clarity and truth are important in the education game.

8. March 31, 2009 pm31 11:28 pm 11:28 pm

The information was current as of the end of last year. Since you were there last year and this year, perhaps you can identify the change you’ve noticed, and even better, explain what you believe brought it about.

9. April 1, 2009 am30 12:28 am 12:28 am

I think it is a very good school to work at this year, and last year. Most of my colleagues think the same. Perhaps the teachers you have spoken to do not form a representative sample? If you’re going to form a list like this (in the name of serving new teachers) then you surely owe it to your readers to get a cross section of opinions, and to make sure that what you are reporting is fair and accurate and reflective of reality.

The fact is I’m very happy here, the bulk of my colleagues are very happy here, I’ve only ever seen the administration work hard to support staff and students alike, yet you’re telling people not to apply here? That doesn’t make sense. In fact it seems like a real injustice that I hope you will correct – for the sake of your readers if no one else.

And that’s it. I’ve had my say. I really can see why you think your list is useful to the teaching community as a whole but I also think your criteria for having made this judgment in the first place was highly subjective (perhaps representing some old grudges from a few people who were here over two years ago?) and you’ve made a really bad call on this one.

I do know that some schools are horrible places to work. This is really not one of them – quite the opposite.

Thanks for your attention.

• Anonymous permalink
      April 2, 2009 am30 4:32 am 4:32 am

Bronx Theatre has quite a few deluded individuals who are favored by the administration.The facts are the facts. I think the 58% of teachers not taking taking the principal at her word says it all from the poll last year. Sabotage is spun to the administration benefit and it is sad that people do not look at the facts or support their collegues.

• Anonymous permalink
        April 2, 2009 am30 4:34 am 4:34 am

LEAVE the DO NOT APPLY STATUS! please, thank God for free press such as this.

10. Anonymous permalink
    April 2, 2009 am30 4:35 am 4:35 am

do not remove the do not apply status

11. Anonymous permalink
    April 3, 2009 pm30 6:46 pm 6:46 pm

I am a teacher at Bronx Theatre HS (not a 1st year teacher), and I can not believe that the writer of this blog is informed on what goes on if JD2718 has deemed this school as one for teachers to not apply for positions. Do you know of the programs for both at risk and high achieving students? The progress that students have made over the years? The camaraderie of teachers who not only meet in school but outside of school designing ways to spiral curriculum and work with shared students on their own volition? From what I have read, it seems like the majority of the speculation is based on hearsay and not on empirical evidence or an investigative methodology that is reliable enough to be credible. You are doing a disservice to the teachers and student at Bronx Theatre by publishing what seems to be the equivalent of tabloid gossip. The administration is incredibly supportive. In all my time here I have never felt unsupported. Please believe me when I say this, when I read your remarks about my school, if you are not embarrassed, I am embarrassed for you.

12. Anonymos permalink
    June 24, 2012 pm30 11:04 pm 11:04 pm

Based on posts on this web site: I am a math teacher and I am pleased to say I am applying for a job at Bronx Theatre. While no school is perfect there seems to be plenty of people willing to defend the administration and their policies.

A free press is a wonderful thing and because of it, I am willing to take my chances.

1. Remove Bronx Theatre from Do Not Apply list « JD2718