Parent Teacher Fizzles in Drizzle

March 27, 2009 am31 7:47 am

12 years teaching, my 24th parent teacher conferences.

My first 5 years were in a regular Bronx high school – two years with freshmen, and the next three years with at least a few classes where I could drum up better than average parent turnout for parent teacher evening and afternoon.

My last 7 years have been at a small school with a built-in greater than average interest level. 30-40 is nothing special.

But tonight? Spring term is always lighter than the fall, and I only teach 3 classes, which reduces my numbers (though 2 of 3 are freshmen). But when the first lull hit, and I walked out to chat with parents in line for other teachers… there weren’t so many to talk with.

The drizzle fizzled our (usually high) turn out. This was my smallest turnout ever. I think I had just a dozen.

1. Eric permalink
    March 27, 2009 pm31 2:29 pm 2:29 pm

I had 10 last night…and I have about 140 on my roster.

2. another "disgruntled" employee permalink
    March 27, 2009 pm31 11:59 pm 11:59 pm

I had 15 between both.

3. March 29, 2009 am31 12:00 am 12:00 am

There seems to be an inverse relationship between how many years I have in the system and how many parents that come to my PTCs. -sigh-

• March 29, 2009 am31 12:03 am 12:03 am

Inverse? Now, if it were in verse, that might catch my attention

4. Jack I. (Clinton) permalink
    March 29, 2009 am31 7:27 am 7:27 am

I had about 20, which is about average. The same parents that I had in the fall pretty much. Still, I enjoyed it. I was able to have quality time with the parents who did come. However getting just 20 parents when I have about 140 on my roster is indictive of the challenges we face as teachers in the world as it is.How would Lord Bloomberg and his visonary clown Joel quantify this. I know if I had only called each and every home, the parents would have come running. I know, how about a Charter PTA, make the parents wear uniforms and give them a bounus for showing up.

Rock on Garth