jd2718 on Teaching Fellows

August 5, 2008 am31 9:48 am

Just a list of posts:

What Kind of Recruitment for NYC Public School Teachers?

Recruiting Teaching Fellows

What to do about Teaching Fellows?

Some Teaching Fellows I know

Teaching Fellows or the Teaching Fellows?

Am I a Fellow?

Teaching Fellows are new teachers

Using Fellows for what they weren’t intended

Organizing Teaching Fellows as teachers

Does signing a card make you a UFT member?

What issues matter to new teachers?

Do Not Apply

Reaching Fellows

1. Fellow-wanting-to-get-on-board--at-a-school permalink
    August 11, 2008 am31 11:21 am 11:21 am

JD:

Can you start a post for teachers to post advice on how fellows can better fit into their schools? Because I just want to succeed in my career and help the kids … I would like to avoid the other BS

2. August 12, 2008 pm31 9:08 pm 9:08 pm

I will work on it. And I would welcome further suggestions.

3. August 20, 2008 am31 5:04 am 5:04 am

I applied for the Fellows but was not accepted. I understand that there are a lot of applicants but I had experience working with special eductaion students and I wonder if this worked against me.I will still pursue teaching in NY because I know that I can make a difference…I just needed to vent. =)

4. pbpcbs permalink
    August 20, 2008 am31 8:13 am 8:13 am

There are many paths you can take…some of which parallel the TF approach. Contact the teacher education departments at any or all the CUNY schools. It may take a couple tries, but you should be able to find someone who can guide your thinking.

5. Mary Tiulescu permalink
    February 28, 2009 am28 2:11 am 2:11 am

I was recently rejected from the Fellows program after getting halfway though past the six hour interview. I have a masters in English and worked for ten years as an adjunct college teacher of English and ESL, so I have experience and a graduate degree. I’m fifty five and wonder if this counted against me. Neither the rejection form letter nor any of the NYCTF material provide specific criteria to explain what this program wants when they choose or reject applicants. Does anyone know? Are there others who wonder why public service advertisements beg for public school teachers and then dismiss attempts to teach, and/or put insurmountable obstacles of red tape in our paths by way of The NYC Department of Education website? Does anyone have any insight into how to become a teacher in the NYC public schools?

• February 28, 2009 pm28 9:54 pm 9:54 pm

The Fellows have accepted real change of career people, including older than you, but yes, I think they tilt heavily towards younger teachers. The system as a whole seems to discriminate (though it has not been proven) against older teachers, and in the past few years the NYCDoE has adopted policies that encourage principals to take part in this discrimination as well.

Further, they have encouraged opening charter schools at the expense of public schools, and the charters are largely dependent on young teachers who treat teaching as a temporary job.

The ads generate a pool of willing replacements, which may become a weapon in the next round of negotiations, as the DoE tries to force older teachers to quit, or worse, tries to fire them.

1. Teaching Fellows - October notes « JD2718