Puzzler puzzled

September 12, 2007 pm30 12:19 pm

Today I ran a prize puzzle contest in combinatorics (I’ll explain that some other time). One of the puzzles, old but good, was:

Is there a positive integer, n, such that n^3 and n^4 taken together contain each of the digits 0, 1, 2,… , 9 exactly once?

Clear? To me, sure. To you? If English is your native language, yup. But one of my students, out of ESL but not a native speaker, took the phrase “taken together” to mean “added together.” Not the intent. But I will argue that there was at least some (haha) ambiguity. My problem asked for two powers of ten, with 10 digits altogether. The student’s problem was to

find a number of the form a = n^3 + n^4 such that a contains all ten digits exactly once.

1. Can you solve the problem as originally intended?
  2. Can you solve the student’s (arguably more interesting) problem?
  1. Clueless permalink
    September 12, 2007 pm30 5:03 pm 5:03 pm

Maybe ‘concatenated’ is a better word than ‘taken’ in the statement of the first problem. Will middle schoolers be familiar with it, though?

It is interesting that the first problem has a unique solution. It is even more interesting that a solution to the second problem exists.

I just did a search, would be interested to know if there are more analytical methods possible. I guess it is possible to eliminate many choices after narrowing down the range of possible ‘n’.

2. September 12, 2007 pm30 8:57 pm 8:57 pm

1. easily (on a TI-83).
    2. in principle, yes (there’s a 10-digit display).
    but i’ll just take clueless’s word for it since
    it could involve scrolling through over 100 #’s.

3. September 12, 2007 pm30 11:40 pm 11:40 pm

As the others have said, the solution is easy to find, but I wonder how to do it analytically?

4. September 13, 2007 am30 3:03 am 3:03 am

Analytic for my puzzle? I am not certain. But here’s my thinking:

n^3 must have 3 or 4 digits, n^4 must have 6 or 7. That places us between 5 and 21, then between 18 and 56, so our candidates are between 18 and 21, inclusive. Ending in 0 or 1 is a no-no (both powers will end in 0 or 1, giving a repeated digit), leaving only 2 candidates to check.

Analytic for the girl’s puzzle. Hmm. After Clueless I will narrow things down. Ignore the 3rd power. We are between 178 and 316, inclusive. But I don’t want to trial and error 139 candidates.

Can’t end in 0. (both would end in 000, sum would have repeats.)

Can’t be one more than a multiple of 3 (sum would not be divisible by 3, but all permutations of 0 – 9 are divisible by 3)

Narrowing along the same lines, since the sum of the digits is 45, the number is divisible by 9. numbers congruent to 2 or 5 mod 9 do not produce 3rd and 4th powers whose sums are multiples of 9.

Ugly, but xa5, where a is odd, gives 3rd and 4th powers whose sum ends in two zeros.

I think I got from 139 candidates down to 40 or so.

Better ideas? brute force is allowed, but I prefer it as a later resort.

5. September 22, 2007 pm30 2:24 pm 2:24 pm

for the first question i had exactly jd2718’s solution above :)

for the second i gave up and used a script

[x for x in xrange(350) if len(set(str(x*x*x*(1+x)))) == 10]

//also surprised there’s a unique answer

6. September 23, 2007 pm30 3:05 pm 3:05 pm

I was born in Finland and I could not understand the original question. I didn’t think it necessarily meant adding the powers, but the wording just left me confused. I guess it is a fairly rare phrasing? (And I’m a math teacher; I’ve spent plenty of my life reading and talking in English.)

7. September 23, 2007 pm30 4:59 pm 4:59 pm

It may not be well-worded. Rule here: make a suggestion. I think all of us are always looking to improve, alter, modify, etc.

8. Dave Churchill permalink
    October 11, 2007 pm31 8:25 pm 8:25 pm

Is there a positive integer, n, such that the digits from both the numbers n^3 and n^4 contain (0…9) exactly once?

or:

Is there a positive integer, n, such that the concatenation of the string representation of n^3 and n^4 contains (0…9) exactly once?

There is a unique answer for both of these questions… although I cheated and brute forced.

1. Guess who’s a winner? « JD2718