Do Not Apply: A Bronx middle school
There are good schools, bad schools, mediocre schools. But in New York City we have a handful of schools that are so poorly run, so out of control, with administrations that are so incompetent, mean, arbitrary, or vindictive, that getting a job in these schools often means ending your career before it starts.
Last summer I started a list. I started with Bronx high schools, and moved on to Manhattan high schools. Since then I dropped Pablo Neruda (lack of evidence of an ongoing problem; there were a series of bad incidents of teacher harassment, U, discontinuance, but not ongoing) and added Bronx HS of Science.
Today, we have our first Bronx middle school, from the Pelham Parkway area, District 11.
The Bronx Green Middle School is on Wallace Avenue, in the MS135 building. It is not a good place to work. Incidents are not reported, including threats to teachers. Administrators treat one group of teachers as favorites, and the rest as garbage. And those teachers are regularly abused by administrators.
If you know about other schools that fit the “Do Not Apply” category, let me know. E-mail is [this blog name] [at] [gmail] (and then dot com). Tell me, as specifically as possible, why the school fits that category.
Here are the Bronx high schools:
- Bronx Aerospace HS (+) (in the Evander building) (follow up)
- Eximius College Prep HS (near Crotona Park) (follow up)
- Bronx Theater HS (in the JFK building)
- Discovery HS (in the Walton building)
- Fordham HS of the Arts (in the Theodore Roosevelt building)
- HS for Performance and Stagecraft (no longer in the Truman building)
- Fordham Leadership Academy for Business and Technology (in the Theodore Roosevelt building)
- Bronx High School of Science [follow up with details of special complaint]
- [Felisa Rincon de Gautier Institute for Law and Public Policy]*
- ~And here are Manhattan high schools:
- *HS of Art and Design
- *Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis HS
- *Life Sciences HS
- Urban Assembly School for Media Studies (in the MLK building)
- *MLK HS of the Arts and Technology
The sources for this list are (highly) reliable, but I do not have supporting details at this time. Until I have those details and anecdotes, I will leave an asterisk next to a school, to show that its inclusion is unconfirmed. I believe my sources, I believe that these schools belong, but I still want confirmation.
Contractual rights (duty-free lunch, no 4 in-a-row, right to decline per session, pre-ob for untenured teachers) may be routinely violated, or those who exercise them may be retaliated against.