Why teachers unions are good for teachers and the public

January 20, 2007 am31 8:02 am

Pissed Off Teacher reposted the article. Read it here. (It was originally in the AFT Magazine, The American Educator)

I don’t always care for what Diane Ravitch says, but she’s smart, and she gets some things right. She got this right.

Thanks to POT for putting it up.

About these ads
  1. January 21, 2007 pm31 8:13 pm 8:13 pm

Thanks for posting link here. I felt that was an article everyone should read.

2. January 21, 2007 pm31 8:42 pm 8:42 pm

The AFT’s magazine is always worth reading. I am interested in about 5 – 25% of the content of the typical “professional” education-related article. I’d say that I am interested in about 60 – 90% of what the AFT puts into The American Educator.

Since the merger, I have been getting an NEA magazine in the mail at home. Not even close.

Jonathan

3. January 23, 2007 pm31 8:23 pm 8:23 pm

Perhaps I am just naive, but I think if the teacher’s unions devoted themselves to things like this, most people would have no problem with them. My general problem with teacher’s unions is when they do political lobbying only tangentially related to the school system. (Everything in life is at least tangentially related to education, right?) And I have a particular problem when a teacher’s union attacks homeschoolers or promotes heavy government regulation of us.

A bit of totally unsolicited advice, which is probably worth exactly what you paid for it: Your blog would be much easier to read if you would turn off that distracting “Snap Preview” option. I hate pop-up windows, especially ones that cover up the text I’m trying to follow.

4. January 24, 2007 am31 10:00 am 10:00 am

Denise,

thanks for the advice on “Snap.” I disabled it.

Teachers, for over a hundred years, have been handled roughly by school systems. It is only unions that have stopped arbitrary firings, low pay, etc. I support my union. It should be stronger.

I also support public education. And I firmly believe that we need to improve public education so that the alternatives, relatively, don’t look particularly attractive.

I am not aware of “teacher’s union attacks on homeschoolers” or union promotion of heavy regulation. In my 8 years as a delegate in my union, I have not heard it discussed even once.

5. January 24, 2007 pm31 6:49 pm 6:49 pm

The NEA is the one that gives teacher’s unions a bad name among homeschoolers, adopting resolutions every year at their national conventions to promote regulating us up the wazoo in what seems an attempt to make us into mini public schools. Or perhaps I have fallen for an urban legend.

I agree that when public education works well, the alternatives don’t look particularly attractive to most people. I would love to see the public schools improve to that point.